[opendtv] Re: 1080p questions

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 11:25:44 -0500

I'm sorry, Jeroen, but I just cannot agree with one of your points:

-          make shutter glasses that are not based on polarization, which would
be a very
good thing for displays that do not emit already polarized light (plasma, DLP)

This is not true. LCD (polarized) shutter glasses are already a very good thing
to use with diplays that do not emit polarized light, because it avoids the
pitfalls I've outlined with existing LCD displays.

As you yourself noted, when wearing LCD shutter glasses, you are subjecting the
wearer to, as you put it, "[a]lso, your entire world will be viewed through
shutters, this may cause issues with CCFL lamps, street lamps, fluorescent
time-multiplexed displays on video players, other displays in the same room,
etc."  Therefore I think we are in agreement that LCD shutter glasses would
work very well with plasma or DLP diaplays.

Shutter glasses that are not based on polarization would be a very good thing
for LCD displays!  What technology that would be based upon is another matter.

John