[opendtv] Re: 1080p: Time for a Reality Check

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 17:27:23 -0700

Most?  That's funny.  Many of the old ones -- bought in the first rounds --
are Harris Flexicoders.  It's the standard unit used at CBS stations, for
example.

Here in San Diego, I think we're down to one station with a Harris
Flexicoder.  Here's a recent example.  A local cheif engineer needed to add
captioning to his old Harris Flexicoder.  No problem, the folks at Harris
told him.  That will be $335,000.  For the upgrade.

He bought a new Tandberg unit for less than $50,000, with the captioning
support he needed and didn't get with Harris.

Captioning is a big issue here: the local FCC field engineer in charge has
her own ADA checklist.  All local stations now pass.  Few Flexicoder users
will: certainly none economically.

Have I given a big enough hint?