[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 May 2007 12:00:28 -0400

At 9:58 PM +0200 5/19/07, Olivier Houot wrote:
What i was arguing initially is this"a-medium-sized-flat-panel-display-is-all-an- honest-citizen-will-ever-need" attitude may not be for ever, after all. Once people have seen what a big screen can do in a home, the trend might reverse, perhaps quickly (with trends and fashions strange things may happen).

The tend is clearly to larger displays. I think the average display size in the U.S. is now approaching 30 inch.

Then big screens will become mainstream, and it will make sense to broadcast for them. Otherwise, people might notice that the picture is softer than with their HD-whatever players (on the other hand, if the current trend to push 60 Hz disc players to the european market persists, people will also notice that motion rendition for films is better on broadcasts than with their players).

That is exactly what is being done. The existing DTV standards can do a more than adequate job of delivering high quality images (including 1080@24P) to screens in sizes up to 100 inch or more.

I can easily imagine the average display size in the U.S. approaching 35 inch within the next decade, with at least one display in the home being 40 inch or larger.