[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 02:08:21 +0200

Yes, but the pipes are getting a little fatter (we may get 30 Mbps or more with DVB-T2), and satellites have even higher potential bandwidths.

And the new codecs are only at the beginning of their improvement curve.
So why restrict us to the lower figure ? The 1080 format is designed to be close to the eye resolution limit under a 30 ° angle which means we should be able to perceive the increased sharpness.

I am all for a flexible system that could span all the way from a single H.264 1080p using the full 30 Mbps (should make for a nice picture, on a par with HD-DVD or Blu-Ray) down to CIF format (352x288) in a 250 kbps BPSK modulated signal with ultimate error correction codes to punch through the geomagnetic storm of the century...(though i suspect little money would be invested to get ready for this particular case :-)

We've already been through that of course, but the price of the electronics to do this have further decreased since the last time.

Craig wrote :

Trying to cram more information through a pipe that cannot handle it will actually result in LOWER delivered image quality than a lower resolution raster that is properly encoded. The net result is that EVERYONE gets less image quality when the channel is stressed.

It's not about numbers. It 's about maintaining the quality of the samples through the emission chain.