[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 18:15:10 -0700

On 5/11/07, Olivier Houot <olho_avatar_i@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
You can for example get a Sanyo PLV-Z5 for 1100 euros (french site, sorry)
http://www.magma.fr/?module=boutique&act=details&pid=1009689

Which does not produce a bright enough picture to be viewed outside a
light-controlled room.

In France, for example, section 2.1 says the average surface is 88 m2,
and section 2.2 that the average number of rooms is  4. That would be
some 22 m2 per room, and we should keep in mind that the living room is
often bigger than the others. But even a 20 m2 room could provide a 4 x
5 m arrangement.

Your calculation assumes no passageways, closets, bathrooms, entrance
halls, stairwells, dining areas, or kitchens. Plus all of these
combine in various permutations to create dead space which makes most
rooms unusable.

I think the biggest thing here not taken into consideration is that a
large screen in a small room most times does not look aesthetically
pleasing.

Also, in smaller houses, the kitchen and dining areas border directly
on the lounge area. Which may itself also border on the entrance hall.
It is impossible to control light in these environments and projectors
are usually not suited well here.

Also, i doubt that the people making the bulk of  flat panels statistics
are those leaving in the smallest appartments, considering the average
price. Again this may be just a passing trend. If someone gets a chance
to see a big screen movie at a friend's, what will he feel like when
back in front of his own smaller, fixed-size, perhaps more expensive
flat panel ?

Many people don't actually care. I know plenty of people that prefer a
smaller screen. Many people care more about using a living room in the
traditional sense, and a big screen is unimportant in that case.

As the years go by, a plasma panel will gradually lose its luminosity
and picture quality. Nothing to do but to trash it and buy a new one.
But the friend can change the lamp in his projector for a fraction of
the price and enjoy it for many more years.
So perhaps, after the first enthusiasm, people will reconsider.

That Sanyo you just mentioned uses organic polarizers. It is very
likely that it will fail after a year or few.

Speaking of which, 3LED projectors using organic polarizers are really
duds and I am surprised that manufacturers have not been sued. All
these seem to fail right as the warranty runs out. In fact, that's the
rumored reason that Panasonic reduced their warranty to 1 year on
their AE line. I should know, I have one, and it has failed on the
blue polarizer, and now the green.

Many 3LCDs also have a high LCD panel failure rate. At the cost of
repairing these you may as well buy another projector. In fact, that's
what I had to do.

You can search google or avsforum or other home theater forums for
more horror stories. They all go to the tune of 'what is this blue
color in the corner of my screen'. You see, these poor people would
know was it not for manufacturers telling them 'I have no idea what
that is'.

Plus you have screen door and pixelization at 6ft, which means you
need to reduce the image size to make it watchable. These artifacts
make large screen projection systems unwatchable from close up even in
720p.

Maybe in a few years we will have polysilicon 3LCD projectors at a
decent price. For now, DLP seems like the only choice.

Sorry for getting off-topic..

Also, there may be some disruptive technologies on the way : laser
projectors which would be free of the limitations of current optics (we
may aim for more than 30° then ), and always the possibility of having a
virtual big screen using goggles. With the mobility trend, this concept
may make a come back.

Didn't we try virtual reality... multiple times... all of which turned
out to be complete and utter failures?

By the way have you heard that they are talking about 3D again ?
Broadcasting in 1080p would make it easier to switch to stereoscopic
1080i in case of need . Ain't it nice? :-)

If one is so hard up to experience reality I would suggest turning off
the TV and walking outside.

Cheers
Kon