[opendtv] Re: 1080p @ 60 is Next?

  • From: "peter wilson" <peter.wilson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 13:34:50 +0100

Hi All,

This is an interesting point, as pointed out before Numedia Technology has
seen around 455 ft in the lab at 3Gbps though products are specified at less
than this distance to give margin for system degradation.

Going to fibre is not straightforward @ 3Gbps as the parts required are not
so popular. Video vendors often use 2Gbps lasers running slow or 1.25 Gbps
lasers overdriven. Lasers for 3 Gbps are not readily available from other
business area's so tend to be very expensive. Some current FPGA parts are
fast enough to support 3G processing.

In the short term its probable that you would use fibre dual link with Cwdm
or like the BBC, Dirac Pro (VC2) mezzanine compression which costs les than
twin lasers and all the WDM stuff.

For some unknown reason the SMPTE number I quoted was actually a local road
number so to correct this SMPTE 424 is the transport document and SMPTE 425
is the packaging document.

Best regards,

Peter

  _____