[opendtv] Re: 1080i vrs 720P

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 02 Oct 2005 12:22:21 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 > We could easily have allowed only progressive formats. This would not
 > have precluded 1920 x 1080 at 24P and 30P.

However they did include 1280x720p at 24, 30, and 60p.  I don't think I
have ever seen any ATSC broadcast that seemed to have any more
resolution than 720p in any format.  If that's the case then any
broadcaster that chooses can use 720p would not lose anything by it
except some extra royalties to MPEG-LA.

Meanwhile, 1080i does sometimes look better on my 1080i RPTV for some
reason and is probably okay as a legacy format, assuming it's okay to
use that word for our new HDTV system.  AFAIK, the broadcasters using
1080i are happy with it.

If CRT driven lower priced 1080i RPTV's like mine gradually disappear
then we will probably also see a decline in 1080i as a delivery format.
   Meanwhile better downsampling 720p cameras are supposed to be arriving.

So things may take care of themselves over time.

- Tom