[opendtv] Re: 060707 Free Friday Fragments (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Steve Wilson <stevenjwilson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 12:36:59 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
> With upgraded cable systems, which go up into the UHF band, and fully
> converted to 256-QAM, *without breaking a sweat*, the cable company can
> offer at least 250-300 or more simultaneous 60p sports HDTV programs.
> This is a no-brainer, requiring no fast routers in the backbone, using
> only MPEG-2 TS. And double this to 500+ if you use AVC/H.264.

Please forgive my ignorance, but I dont get it. I heard the cable systems were
already at capacity with MPEG2 and thats driving some interest in H.264.   What
you describe is one "boat load" of content.
I wonder what a "non-upgraded" system can carry.....

Even so, isn't IPTV going to enable new services as compared to what you can
get over cable/MPEG TS?  Cable co's are going to have to invent something new
to compete or start running IPTV as well.  Assuming of course, IPTV becomes a
large enough threat.