[opendtv] Re: 060423 Schubin's Sunday Stuff (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Apr 2006 23:19:14 -0400

Albert Manfredi wrote:

>Tom Barry wrote:
>

><snipped>
>
>I think if people get equivalent or better reception of ATSC than they got
>with NTSC, they won't complain. If there's anything to conclude about the
>lack of fanfare, I'd say that's it.
>
>Bert

Obviously "if people get equivalent or better reception of ATSC than
they got

with NTSC, they won't complain."

To then state that they are not complaining and conclude therefore ATSC is
better than NTSC is a bunch of bridges to far.

First the number of current buyers of HDTV integrated sets who rely on OTA is
minuscule. Second the number of those who do not rely on OTA and who are
currently buying integrated HDTV sets that will even try OTA is small and of
that number those who would then complain about OTA reception is small since
they will in most cases just say "f**K" to their significant others and proceed
to connect the cable.

That would count as a complaint about reception but how do we measure it?

Third with the better ATSC receivers today the problems are less but also the
users do not have much to measure against. If they get a few stations well, a
few with dropouts and don't receive a number of stations how do they know what
to expect? What is the benchmark? How do they complain that this is not as good
as it could be if there is no way for them to know what reception would be like
say with DVB-T? So with the current state of the 8-VSB art they may just accept
the inferior 8-VSB as the best that there is.

So the lack of fanfare may only signal the ongoing slow death of OTA TV/DTV
nothing more.

BTW I do not accept that people are not complaining. They may be doing so only
to friends. There are consistent complaints on AVSForum. And obviously there
are complaints that we never hear about. If the grapevine was only positive
then OTA broadcasting and the sale of OTA reception equipment might be going as
good as it is in other COFDM countries.

Bob Miller