[opendtv] Re: 050615 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 17:40:28 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > Perhaps you're missing that most of the components used
> > for ATSC reception are also used for digital cable
> > reception. That's why most consumers will benefit.
>
> So why include an ATSC tuner then?
>
> Would it not be better to make the stuff that is used by
> everyone standard, and to let the consumer choose the
> tuner module that they need (cable, DBS or ATSC)?

The best approach is the cheapest approach. If a standard
receiver can be installed that handles OTA, cable, and DBS,
without having to incur the extra cost of an
interchangeable module scheme or of external converter
boxes, then this is the cheapest route. The different
distribution systems are more similar than they are
different.

> And the consumer gets screwed by another government
> mandate related to something the government has no
> business meddling in.

The consumer who buys or rents cable STBs today, or uses
OTA today, would not get screwed. As of now, the DBS
subscriber won't benefit, so they should take that up with
their DBS companies.

> And then there's the Broadcast Flag...

> Will Fair Use survive?

I never liked the broadcast flag idea, but this is supposed
to be a retransmission control flag. The FCC should crack
down on broadcasters or CE manufacturers who use it for any
other purpose, e.g. to prevent recording for time shifting
or other personal use. And if broadcast flag scheme cannot
work as intended, which I believe it cannot, then the FCC
is responsible for correcting its mistaken design. Or, of
course, Congress or the courts can also nix the whole thing.

> I don't want to PAY FOR a cable STB, because the built-in
> tuner provides access to everything I am paying the cable
> system for today. I could care less about having a STB if
> it provides something I want, like a PVR.

So we agree completely, then. You don't want an STB when
connected to cable, *and* you want a built-in receiver in
your recording device. That's what I've been saying all
along.

> Rubbish. This entire transition was predicated upon the
> misplaced notion that broadcasters would not be
> competitive in the future without HDTV.

The part about HDTV is certainly turning out to be true.
How odd that you continue to be in denial. But HDTV is
not the reason the govt wants the transition over with. At
this point, the govt wants to auction off the extra
spectrum. That's all. No mention of HDTV anymore.