[opendtv] Re: 050615 Wolfsson's Wednesday Words (Mark's Monday Memo)

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 09:20:19 -0400

>Bob Miller wrote:
>
>>  > Third, "for the vast majority of us who will NEVER
>>  > benefit from a deploying air bag, why do we have to
>>  > spend hundreds of extra dollars on each car we buy?"
>>
>>  Bad analogy. We all can have an accident.
>
>Not such a bad analogy, actually. I don't have the
>numbers to prove it, but I would not be a bit surprised
>if your chances of being in an accident that deploys
>the air bags is not *smaller* than the chances of a
>cable user having to pick up an OTA TV signal. Perhaps
>because cable service is on the blink, or because he
>has a portable set in the kitchen or porch.

You really are reaching now Bert.

Even if you are correct about this, it is still irrelevant.

About the only time most cable users resort to such a Draconian
tactic as using an off air tuner, is when a media conglomerate pulls
their content off of the cable system to greenmail the system and its
subscribers for more money. I did try using an antenna briefly in the
aftermath of one of last seasons hurricanes. Then the power went out
along with the cable...almost everyone tuned into the local talk
radio station, because they provided the best information, and we ALL
have portable radios that work!