[openbeosstorage] Volume Sets

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 19:38:58 -0700

Howdy,

Lest things quiet down too much around here, I thought I'd let you
know what I discovered about volume sets.

Firstly, none of the multi-CD sets I looked at (MS VS.net, MS VS 6.0,
MS Office 2002, Riven, Myst) were true volume sets a la the
standards. In the case of Microsoft's CDs, they *did* set the volume
set identifiers on each CD, but to unique values that matched the
corresponding regular volume identifiers (i.e. MSVSNET1, MSVSNET2,
...). The latter two sets mentioned didn't even bother setting the
volume set identifiers.

So, I guess there's no need for us to worry about supporting true
volume sets, as it would appear that no one else does either. Perhaps
someday we might want to look into it...

Lastly, as to multiple volumes on a multisession CD, I discovered an
interesting bit in the UDF specs that specifically states that only
the volume in the "first recorded track of the last existent session"
shall be presented. It also notes that these are the same semantics
as those used by iso9660.

So, it sounds to me like we ought to present only the last iso9660
and/or UDF volume on a multi-session CD by default, but make any
others available (since I think that's a very handy feature to have).
 I don't know that this is anything we need to offer in the Disk
Device API though; Tracker could just figure things out on a device
by device basis. Also, in the case of other filesystems (like the R5
CD with a BFS image), I think we should just present them all like is
currently done.

-Tyler