[openbeosstorage] Re: To Unmount Or Not To Unmount

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 13:42:25 +0200 CEST

Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > The problem with a) is, that it's a bit beyond the control of
> > the user. If, as Axel says, unmounting would always work not
> > heeding
> > pending vnodes, then the user might risk losing data, I suppose.
> I agree, that's a bit mean to pull the rug out from under the user
> like
> that. b) seems like a weak solution, too, though. c) and d) seem
> nicer to
> me. Is there any reason you can think of why either couldn't be made
> to work?

Just a short word for me as I don't have time right now:
I thought about having a "force" parameter for unmount() - it will fail
with B_BUSY or something when there are open files if force == false,
but will unmount the disk anyway, if not.
We could even handle the case differently for read and write access,
since the open mode is stored in the descriptors, too.
Furthermore, the system should never unmount a partition without user
interaction - only in case of a shutdow :)

Bye,
   Axel.