[openbeosstorage] Syscall Multiplexing

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Storage Kit <openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:40:38 -0700

Howdy,

Ingo mentioned last week that you, Axel, were interested in us multiplexing
some of the ddm syscalls, since it's a bit of a chore to add the syscalls
to the kernel. I offered to tackle the task, but I wanted to ask first what
exactly is involved in adding syscalls to the kernel. It looks to me like
you have to add the symbolic constant to headers/private/kernel/ksyscalls.h
and an appropriate dispatch case to src/kernel/core/syscalls.c. Am I
missing anything else?

In lieu of multiplexing our ddm syscalls, I thought maybe I would just
offer to add the syscalls themselves to the kernel rather than having you
do it. Unless I've missed some terribly time consuming step in the syscall
addition process, it seems to me it's just going to be more work overall to
multiplex them, and the additional code, IMO, just leaves more room for
error.

-Tyler