[openbeosstorage] Re: SK_TEST_* and old BeBooks

  • From: Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 01:20:07 -0700

> > That's great. I suppose we ought to be able to #define
> > USE_OPENBEOS_NAMESPACE now as well, correct? Cool.
> The other day I read on the IK Team list, that in order to prepare the
> move to the new directory structure/build system the OpenBeOS name space
> shall be removed. Wait a second... there it is:
>   //www.freelists.org/archives/interfacekit/04-2002/msg00007.html
> Mmh???

I personally don't see that leaving it in there causes any harm whatsoever.
The powers that be don't want an OpenBeOS namespace used -- why? The best I
can tell is they don't see it as necessary, which is true from the
perspective that you'll only be using BeOS R5 *or* OpenBeOS R1 at any given
time, never both at once.

But if we ever want to write up binary compatibility tests that *do* use
both at the same time (which I kind of think would be cool), the only way
to do it is to wrap one of the versions in a namespace. We could change it
to StorageKit or something else if they don't want end-users to be
potentially confused by the presence of "namespace OpenBeOS" wrapped up in
#IFDEFs, but other than that I don't see that leaving it in is any sort of
liability.

-Tyler