[openbeosstorage] Re: Partitioning context

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Apr 2003 23:48:48 +0200 CEST

"Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Axel D=3DF6rfler"  <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > - we should probably add an option to recognize files as a hard
> > disk
> > and be able to scan the partitions contained therein
> I already thought about that some months ago, when we were designing
> the previous API. The issue I see is, where the devices are
> published.
> I would imagine it to work like this: There are syscalls to
> (un)register a file as virtual disk. On registration a device is
> published under /dev/disk/virtual/file/<filename>[uniqueness=3D5FID]/
> raw.
> The rest can work completely transparent for the disk=3D5Fdevice=3D
> 5Fmanager.

Hm, that might be the way to go, and a similar way could probably also
be used for TTYs. So what's needed would be the ability to trigger the
creation (and deletion) of /dev entries and the ability of attaching
data to those entries (which file it refers to, for example). AFAICT
that matches Thomas' proposed changes to the device management pretty
well :-)

> So, probably an additional BPartition::IsLeaf() (better name=3D3F)
> would be
> a good idea. It would indicate whether the partition is of a type
> that
> doesn't allow to create child partitions using the parent's system in
> non-nesting manner.

So that intel partitions in non-extended intel partitions would be
invalid=3F Do you think that this is a necessary restriction=3F As long as
we don't give the user the possibility to create those partitions (too
easily), I don't see much of a problem.
The reader should support anything you throw at it, while the writer
should only output conformant layouts.

> BTW, DriveSetup users should be warned, when they are going to use
> nesting.

Might be a good idea, although a visual clue might be enough (i.e.
partition type: primary/logical (for intel style partioning), along
with a graphical representation (generic)).
The only problem with nesting partitions is, AFAICT missing support in
other operating systems.

> > both would be very convenient mostly for users of emulators (such
> > as
> > Bochs or Amithlon, the former accesses files as hard drivers, the
> > latter has the standard amiga partitioning system inside an Intel
> > partition), but I could imagine other useful applications as well.
> > What do you think=3D3D3F
> Definitely a good idea.

Yep, it always annyoing not to be able to access those things currently
:-)

Adios...
   Axel.