[openbeosstorage] Re: ISO9660/cdrom progress

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 16:20:10 +0100 CET

Tyler Dauwalder <tyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [multi-volume-standard deviation woes]
> > IMO users should be punished for using Windows applications, that
> > don't follow standards. ;-) I couldn't resist. :-P
> Fair enough. :-) Other than not wanting to alienate potential
> converts,
> I would tend to agree (that, and I haven't bothered to figure out how
> to burn in BeOS yet, so I actually fall into that very category still
> :-0).

Depending on how you do it, it's very convenient to burn CDs with BeOS
- if only for the reason that you don't have to boot into Windows :-))
As a small teaser: I've copied my behaviour from stippi who has a "to
burn" folder on the desktop - whenever he wants to burn something he
creates links in that folder, and then runs a script that creates the
image. I'll then burn that image using Marcus' great CD-Manager
application :-)

> > What concerns me more, is the CD-absolute addressing. Our ISO9660
> > FS
> > would need to recognize the CD as an ill-formatted one and use
> > absolute
> > addresses in this case, while for standard conformant ones the
> > correct
> > addressing would be used. I think, that should be feasible at
> > least.
> Well, as best I can tell, the one I'm using currently has no problem
> with any of the CDs I've thrown at it (though I haven't tested
> exhaustively), and I thought we got that one for free, as it comes in
> the R5 sample code.

Well, the one that comes with R5 just don't support multi-session disks
at all. And I *know* from the one I've written, that it has some
problems with some CDs - I happen to own such a thing :-)
(the AmigaOS 3.9 CD, if somebody cares :-))

Adios...
   Axel.