[openbeosstorage] Re: DiskDevice API v2.0

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 00:25:03 +0100 CET

Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Tyler Dauwalder wrote:
> > Here's my proposed header changes for the Disk Device API
> > incorporating a more general partitioning scheme:
> >
> > http://www.dauwalder.net/DiskDeviceAPI=5Fv2.0.zip
> [...]
> > I think that's pretty much it. I now await your comments. :-)
> If you can abide to wait for mine till tomorrow; I don't think, I'll
> find the time to thoroughly read through it and write up my findings
> today
> (at least not before the meeting, and quite definitely not thereafter
> ;-).

I probably won't have the time to do that until thursday. I hope you've
done the right thing ;-))

> > p.s. How's the laptop hunt going, Ingo=3F :-)
> I abandoned the idea to buy one with a desktop CPU. You get quite an
> impressive configuration for relatively little money, but you can be
> sure
> that the fan is roaring all the time. I first thought, I could get
> used to
> it, but it's really quite annoying.

Oh yes, I know - my laptop is also "overpacked" with a P-III 800 - the
fan is always on, and gets pretty loud under heavy usage (actually even
not so heavy usage) :/
But my next PC will be (almost) fanless, I'll really try :)

> So it must be a mobile processor -- mobile P4 or Pentium-M (Athlon
> CPUs
> usually don't come with ATI graphics) --, which is considerably
> dearer
> (the latter one even more so). Also taking my other requirements into
> account -- an ATI mobile Radeon and a >=3D15" display with >XGA
> resolution
> -- I've finally found only one machine
> (http://www5.avitos.com/shop/info.asp=3Fproduct=5Fcode=3DNOT1180&;
> product=5Fgroup=3D410&service=5Fgroup=3D&search=5Fstr=3D&sid=3D559993922&retpage=3D/
shop/folder.asp)
> (even without Windows! :-) which I can afford with only one more
> month
> starving. ;-) I haven't seen it in any store yet and thus don't know

Sounds nice!

> As an alternative, I'm considering buying a really good machine, with
> no
> compromises to be made, in installments. It seems that the Pentium-M
> (code named Banias) is quite a good horse to bet on. Stippi had a
> closer
> look at a Sony machine, all components of which (save this
> Centrino-bundled WLAN card) were supported properly. And as he said,
> he
> didn't manage to get the fan started, even after several minutes of a
> `md5sum < /dev/zero'. Quite promising...

Yeah, I would buy that one too, just gimme some money ;-)

> To sum it up, I'm still waiting to get my money back, and am even
> more
> undecided than at the beginning. :-( I couldn't have imagined, that
> this
> would be that difficult. Maybe I'm just not decisive enough. But, you
> know, it's quite a bunch of money, and I'll spend considerable time
> working with that laptop for the next three or so years.

Yes, indeed, it's an important decision, I would also think about that
a lot, if I was going to replace my desktop machine.

> Anyway, unless a final decision is made very soon, I think, I'll
> start to
> port the build system and the relevant parts of code to mwcc to be
> able to
> do some work on my PPC machine at least.

Don't spend too much work on that; it's nothing wrong to let another
compiler have a look over the code, but all those declspec stuff we
don't need with ELF could give you a lot of headaches.
But if you can do it on that code only... :-)

Adios...
   Axel.