[openbeosstorage] Re: DiskDevice API v2.0

  • From: Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 16:17:30 +0100 (MET)

On Sun, 23 Mar 2003, Tyler Dauwalder wrote:

> Here's my proposed header changes for the Disk Device API
> incorporating a more general partitioning scheme:
>
> http://www.dauwalder.net/DiskDeviceAPI_v2.0.zip
[...]
> I think that's pretty much it. I now await your comments. :-)

If you can abide to wait for mine till tomorrow; I don't think, I'll
find the time to thoroughly read through it and write up my findings today
(at least not before the meeting, and quite definitely not thereafter ;-).

> p.s. How's the laptop hunt going, Ingo? :-)

*sigh*
I abandoned the idea to buy one with a desktop CPU. You get quite an
impressive configuration for relatively little money, but you can be sure
that the fan is roaring all the time. I first thought, I could get used to
it, but it's really quite annoying.

So it must be a mobile processor -- mobile P4 or Pentium-M (Athlon CPUs
usually don't come with ATI graphics) --, which is considerably dearer
(the latter one even more so). Also taking my other requirements into
account -- an ATI mobile Radeon and a >=15" display with >XGA resolution
-- I've finally found only one machine
(http://www5.avitos.com/shop/info.asp?product_code=NOT1180&product_group=410&service_group=&search_str=&sid=559993922&retpage=/shop/folder.asp)
(even without Windows! :-) which I can afford with only one more month
starving. ;-) I haven't seen it in any store yet and thus don't know
whether all interesting components (also USB and FireWire) are supported
properly. I don't have my money from my last test purchase back yet,
anyway...

As an alternative, I'm considering buying a really good machine, with no
compromises to be made, in installments. It seems that the Pentium-M
(code named Banias) is quite a good horse to bet on. Stippi had a closer
look at a Sony machine, all components of which (save this
Centrino-bundled WLAN card) were supported properly. And as he said, he
didn't manage to get the fan started, even after several minutes of a
`md5sum < /dev/zero'. Quite promising...

To sum it up, I'm still waiting to get my money back, and am even more
undecided than at the beginning. :-( I couldn't have imagined, that this
would be that difficult. Maybe I'm just not decisive enough. But, you
know, it's quite a bunch of money, and I'll spend considerable time
working with that laptop for the next three or so years.

Anyway, unless a final decision is made very soon, I think, I'll start to
port the build system and the relevant parts of code to mwcc to be able to
do some work on my PPC machine at least.

CU, Ingo