[openbeosstorage] Re: Device API / DriveSetup AddOns

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 23:46:31 +0100 CET

"Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was under the impression, that we want to start with libroot and
> the
> DriveSetup (DS) add-ons as a base, but as it seems to me, you
> intended
> to start with the stuff at the very roots. :-P

Sure :-)
Obviously, Be's libroot just used GPLd malloc - everything else was
released as objects only.

> I found a bit of documentation, that clarifies the process -- a bit
> of
> the DS add-on interface and even the syscall for publishing a logical
> device (B=5FSET=5FPARTITION) are described: Be Newsletter, Volume II,
> Issue
> 23, `Getting Mounted'

Yes, the newsletters contain much good information :-)

> The partition add-on does only report the offset and the size of the
> partition. The user application has to call B=5FSET=5FPARTITION to
> publish
> the device for the partition.

It's also almost explained in the headers.

> Yep, sounds reasonable. If possible (and I believe it is), I think,
> it
> would be a good idea to write a user-land implementation of the
> kernel
> API, so that we can develop the add-ons and the C++ device API under
> R5.

Yes, that should be easily possible. We already have a userspace
implementation of the module API for the net server, so we could even
develop the partition/session modules in userland, and completely test
them.

> PS: Do I remember correctly, that we use a fair amount of C++ in the
> kernel (even virtual functions!=3F)=3F Doesn't that call for a nice C++
> API
> for the DS add-ons=3F :-P

Well, don't think this is necessary - what would the add-ons need from
the kernel=3F Almost only read(). And we are also bound to the modules
interface.

> PPS: Axel, didn't you plan to write a "C++ in the kernel" newsletter
> article=3F :-P

Yeah, I will, I just have not much time right now :-)

> PPPS: I have never played with sessions/partitions before, so, if you
> have any helpful links, don't hesitate to throw them at me. ;-) I
> guess, for hard disks the fdisk sources wouldn't be too bad a point
> start at. CDs, floppies,...=3F

Don't know where to get information about CDs, but I don't think
floppies can have partitions :-)
For hard disks I have a link:
http://www.win.tue.nl/~aeb/partitions/partition=5Ftables.html

Adios...