[openbeosstorage] Re: Amiga RDB

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 23:25:03 +0200 CEST

"Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Sounds `Mostly Harmless'. :-)

Right, also it combines most of the features found in other
partitioning schemes.

> Save one point maybe: The possibility to define reserved blocks at
> beginning and end of the partition doesn't fit that nicely into the
> latest draft version of the DiskDevice API (nor into any of the
> earlier
> versions ;-). In order to still being able consider a partition a
> contiguous space a disk system resides on, it would be necessary to
> report only the non-reserved blocks as the partition space. But this
> is
> not so nice for DriveSetup, since it won't be able to display the
> reserved parts and the user might get a wrong impression about to
> which
> point a partition can be moved/resized.
>
> Since the BDiskSystem::Validate*() calls will be used to ensure, that
> the new partition position and size will be OK, this won't have any
> bad
> consequences (let alone the slightly incorrect visualization),
> though.
> I could live with that.

I would actually appreciate if DriveSetup (or the appropriate add-on)
could make the reserved space visible.
If you remember, we want to have a similar problem (at least I do ;-))
with our special partition used for RAID information etc. - something
like this could also be handled as reserved space.
Anyway, for now, I don't think we have to deal with it - just report
the accessible partition size and we're happy.

Adios...
   Axel.