[openbeosstorage] Re: Amiga RDB

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 18:54:49 +0200 CEST

"Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I still have a working Amiga here, and MorphOS, which come with the
> > Pegasos, is AmigaOS compatible.
> > I even still develop an application for it which should be finished
> > soon! :-)
> That's a bit scary, I have to admit. ;-)

Yeah, I know :-) But I started that application 7 years ago, and I just
want it to be completed, I don't like leaving unfinished stuff behind
(as I have to do so often) :-)

> > I.e. you could have an Intel style partitioning block at the
> > beginning,
> > and the Amiga RDB on the same disk, describing the same layout. At
> > least, I am pretty sure that no one used it that way yet, it would
> > easily be possible to be able to switch your hard drives from one
> > system to the other while still being able to access (nearly) all
> > partitions. So we might just ignore it :-)
> Sorry, I didn't get that. You mean, for disks with Amiga RDB, the
> user
> could additionally describe the partition layout using the Intel
> scheme
> and hence we can ignore the RDB? Mmh, while I'm usually a big fan of
> ignoring problems, I'd find this approach a bit... err... you know
> what
> I mean. :-)

What I meant was: it would be possible to do so, in theory, but I don't
see an urgent reason to support that behaviour :-)
We should give Amiga RDB the higher priority, because it's superior to
the Intel partitioning scheme - but OTOH almost no one uses it, and it
would slow down booting, so I wouldn't even consider doing that :-)
So how does your ignoring side feel about this? :)

Adios...
   Axel.