[openbeosstorage] Re: API Extensions

  • From: "Ingo Weinhold" <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosstorage@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 01:49:34 CET (+0100)

> > > The information should be queryable through an ioctl - so you can
> > > ask
> > > the device which partition system it is using.
> > I guess, one would make devfs intercept this ioctl and ask the
> > disk=5Fscanner and friends=3F
>
> Or the disk scanner just adds that information when it creates the
> partitions in the kernel.

I'm afraid, I've lost the context. However, since a while
get_nth_partition_info() returns which partitioning system is used, so
I think, this is obsolete anyway. :-)

> > > 2) Is there support for hidden partitions=3D3F
> > > We might also have special driver settings for the partition
> > > modules,
> > > although I am not yet sure where we can use it (to hide intel
> > > partitions for example).
> > The extended=5Fpartition=5Finfo structure has a fields `flags'
> > which can
> > have the bit B=5FHIDDEN=5FPARTITION set (it was a `bool hidden' in
> > the DS
> > add-on partition=5Fdata structure, IIRC). The partition add-ons are
> > supposed to set that bit, if the partition is a non-data partition
> > (e.g. an extended one). But I suspect, I are driving at something
> > else,
> > aren't you=3F
>
> I think I referred to the partitions containing meta data about
> volume
> spanning, partition resize/move operations, etc. - those probably
> shouldn't be too visible to the user (at least Tracker shouldn't make
> them visible in the mount menu).

If they are marked B_HIDDEN_PARTITION, that should be enough.
Additionally another flag could be added, so that one can find out,
which are the `chosen' partitions.

CU, Ingo