[openbeosnetteam] Re: testread / Meeting?

  • From: "David Reid" <dreid@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 17:24:38 -0000

Hmm, i'd like to think we had both ifconfig and a prefernces panel...

We can store the actual config at system level and then just have ifconfig
and the prefernces panel read/write to them?

Also, we do need the net stack to scan for devices as I think we should
enable a default behaviour, ie if the card is new to the system, when you
reboot if there's a driver it'll have a device entry and so the net stack
should say

o aha! a device, can I use it?
    no - oh well, just move on
    yes, great, create an ifnet structure and start configuration
o is there a network preferences entry?
    yes - great - read and config
    no - create an entry to sue dhcp and try to get an address

BTW, I also think we should aim to call cards in a better manner, i.e

/dev/net/tulip/0    =>    tulip0

So, in ifconfig, I can do

    ifconfig tulip0 ...

This is a break from how the rest of the unix world works but seems a damn
sight more user-friendly and more "be", don't you think?  this is one reason
I want a DHCP client module built as part of our stack...

david