[openbeosnetteam] Re: stack

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 23:20:10 CEST (+0200)

Philippe wrote:
> What about YANK (Yet Another Network Kit) ?
> Sorry, can't find any acronym from "Walter".
> ;-)

Whatever :-))

> Beside that point, the /dev/net/* ethernet drivers we rely on to talk
> network cards can't be shared between concurrent etwork stacks.

At least not at the same time, but if you have two networking cards you
can run them on two different stacks.

> > IIRC the modules have to be recompiled as userland add-ons also (at
> > least they were located in another directory for the userland
> > stack),
> > but I guess we could change this.
>
> Yep. However, as the kernel land is the main focus, I've put the
> modules
> code under /current/src/add-ons/kernel/net/*, even if their code
> can be compile as userland add-ons too.
> I don't plan to put duplicated modules code into the userland
> add-ons directory (/current/src/add-ons/net/*) for this exact reason.

I meant the object modules, not the source code! It would be really
silly to have different source code locations.
What I meant was: it should be easily possible (most of the time) to
load the kernel modules from the userland stack and just use them
without the need to recompile them for userland usage.

Adios...
   Axel.