[openbeosnetteam] Re: routes

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 03 Aug 2006 00:22:39 +0200 CEST

"Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe we should think about moving to a distributed SCM like
> Mercurial
> (which is used by OpenSolaris, BTW)? That would make us more
> independent of our host because we could have multiple hosts for our
> repos (and mirrors, so they don't eat all our bandwidth). Also, what
> really like about distributed systems is that non-members can easily
> maintain their own patches and it gets a lot easier to contribute.
> SVN
> is very ugly in this regard (maintaining our Trac patches is like
> hell...).

Until we've reached a certain size, I think SVN is the best tool for
the job for us. Besides it's numerous bugs, I'm very happy with SVN
functionality-wise.
Of course, it would be nice to create change-sets with SVN, so that one
could divide the local changes into several commits, instead of having
to do a huge commit after some time (when you even don't remember
everything, ie. when being on vacation without any internet for a month
or something). But since we usually have a working host... :-)

> But moving to SF or Google is okay, too. It's time for slow repos
> access, again. ;)
> Maybe it's an omen that SF got their SVN service up at the same time
> when BerliOS got problems? Nah... :)

For the fun of it, I created an "Haiku" project at Google, but somehow
it didn't convince me. It seems to be very limited, with very limited
access. Plus, every committer would need a Google mail account.
For now, BerliOS works again (who knows how long), and some day, the
vacation of their employees will be over :-)
I wouldn't like to change hosts again, if that would be possible.

Bye,
   Axel.