[openbeosnetteam] Re: routes

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-net@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 18:46:21 +0800

On Tuesday 01 August 2006 01:50, Oliver Tappe wrote:
> I have just read up on IP6-addresses and while the subnet masking seems to
> be the same (CIDRized network addresses, only 96 bits longer >;o), but

In IPv6 *all* subnets use the /64 prefix length, all the other prefix lengths
are for routing decision and aggregation. Well, there is also /128 which is
for host-routes.

> there seem to be subtle differences in the differentiation between
> broadcast, multicast and unicast addresses.

IPv6 does not have "broadcast" the same way IPv4 does. To be more precise,
there's unicast, multicast and anycast.

---
Lars Hansson