[openbeosnetteam] Re: ralink device drivers

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2008 13:47:30 +0200 CEST

"Adrian Panasiuk" <adek336@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> first of all, http://patrick.lafarguette.free.fr/en/beos/rt25xx/ ,
> there is
> this driver for ralink wireless adapters and though I followed the
> instructions it didn't seem to work, but it should, as Haiku is
> binary
> compatible with BeOS R5, right?

If it works for you with BeOS R5, it should work on Haiku as well, yes.

> Hopefully it can work somehow, but if not, would it be feasible to
> use the
> FreeBSD compability layer to port their driver? There seemed to be a
> post in
> this list saying that a wifi stack is not yet implemented- will this
> pose a
> problem? On the haiku page it says some wireless driver is already
> availlable, which would suggest that porting wifi drivers is
> feasible.

I don't know how much of the FreeBSD wifi stack the ralink driver is
using, but it might just mean "some" additional porting effort.
Seeing how many wifi drivers are in the BSD world, it definitely sounds
like a good idea to do that, though. The missing wifi stack refers
mostly to a Haiku native wifi stack to ease driver development; it
would probably best to use the FreeBSD stack now, and eventually add a
Haiku native API around it - at least having the FreeBSD stack around
shouldn't hurt :-)

Bye,
   Axel.