[openbeosnetteam] Re: r18408 moved to network

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 20:41:57 +0200 CEST

Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Well, we have BIND as part of our libnetwork.so, in the dns/
> > > subfolder.
> > > I think Waldemar originally ported it.
> > Yes, I ported BIND, but Philippe once mentioned some better
> > resolver
> > (djbdns or tinydns?) which is less buggy and has a simpler
> > codebase:
> > http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html
> > http://tinydns.org/
> Yes, I personally am all for replacing bind with a simple dns-cache.
> We don't
> need the server part anyway (at least not the real thing) and the
> code has a
> bad reputation by now anyway...

That's indeed true. Even though the client part alone is probably not
that crucial. In any way, I would not think that this is a very urgent
thing to solve, at least if BIND still runs okay in our new stack :-)

> I am not sure if we could use djbdns easily, as when I looked at it
> very
> briefly today, it gave me the impression of depending on other pars
> of Dan
> Bernstein's software suite. Another possibility would be to use
> dnsmasq, but
> that is GPL, I don't know if that rules it out...

LGPL would be okay, but since all net apps would need to link against
that code, and at the net_server as well, I wouldn't think GPL is an
option.
How many other parts would djbdns need, anyway?

Bye,
   Axel.