[openbeosnetteam] Re: r18408 moved to network

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 20:39:32 +0200 CEST

Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >From what I can tell, it looks pretty basic, but also not wrong :-
> > > )
> > Have you thought about how DHCP should be done yet? To support it
> > correctly, I think it has to be a kernel service. But since it's
> > also
> > AF_INET specific, I'm not sure how to integrate it best.
> I can't yet see why it would have to be a kernel service. What reason
> are you
> thinking of? I thought we could just make the dhcpclient part of the
> userland
> net_server that deals with the networking configuration (and which
> could
> contain the dnscache, too).

I thought net_server should only be needed if you need:
* inetd functionality
* dynamic configuration loading (node monitoring of config files)

it could also contain any tray icon stuff.

DHCP needs a running server, too, to see if a lease has to be renewed
whatever. For future zeroconf/Bonjour functionality, this probably also
need a server of some kind. Since I thought the stack should be as self
-containing as possible, having DHCP support built-in sounds not too
bad to me (especially with Bonjour like stuff to come).
But if you think that's insane, and net_server should handle this, I'd
be okay with this, too.

Bye,
   Axel.