[openbeosnetteam] Re: r18408 moved to network

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 14:10:27 +0200

On 8/11/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I had thought you'd need TCP for DNS, but then, I dunno if it's
> > really
> > required.
> Yes, I suppose you need TCP for a full DNS implementation but most
> queries
> are handled via UDP AFAIK. Furthermore, I'd like to look into the
> required
> infrastructure, a.k.a. the resolver (cache, access to .../etc/hosts
> if we
> want to support that)? Or is that already in place (haven't checked
> at all)?

Well, we have BIND as part of our libnetwork.so, in the dns/ subfolder.
I think Waldemar originally ported it.

Yes, I ported BIND, but Philippe once mentioned some better resolver (djbdns or tinydns?) which is less buggy and has a simpler codebase: http://cr.yp.to/djbdns.html http://tinydns.org/

Thanks Waldemar, for posting it!

Actually, I should have posted it earlier. ;)

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald