[openbeosnetteam] Re: r18408 moved to network

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 01:07:16 +0200 CEST

Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I had thought you'd need TCP for DNS, but then, I dunno if it's
> > really
> > required.
> Yes, I suppose you need TCP for a full DNS implementation but most
> queries
> are handled via UDP AFAIK. Furthermore, I'd like to look into the
> required
> infrastructure, a.k.a. the resolver (cache, access to .../etc/hosts
> if we
> want to support that)? Or is that already in place (haven't checked
> at all)?

Well, we have BIND as part of our libnetwork.so, in the dns/ subfolder.
I think Waldemar originally ported it.

> > But IIRC someone wrote a DHCP client for us, and we might want to
> > have
> > a look at it before porting something. I just have no idea where it
> > is
> > in the repository, though.
> > Does anybody know this?
> I'll check out David's stuff during the next days.

From what I can tell, it looks pretty basic, but also not wrong :-)
Have you thought about how DHCP should be done yet? To support it
correctly, I think it has to be a kernel service. But since it's also
AF_INET specific, I'm not sure how to integrate it best.

Thanks Waldemar, for posting it!

Bye,
   Axel.