[openbeosnetteam] Re: r18408 moved to network

  • From: Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 12:58:39 +0200

On 2006-08-13 at 11:56:57 [+0200], Ingo Weinhold <bonefish@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> On 2006-08-12 at 23:21:47 [+0200], Oliver Tappe <openbeos@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
[ ... ]
> > Well, I was just curious as to why you thought DHCP was required to live in
> > the kernel >:o)
> >
> > Having DHCP live in userland would make it possible for the user to replace
> > it with something else, though. And I personally would prefer it if the
> > kernel wouldn't create any (UDP-) sockets by itself, but if there would be a
> > clear border between the kernel providiing the basic protocols and the
> > userland creating the services and sockets.
> > But that is just my personal taste, of course.
>
> Please also keep in mind that there applications like networking file systems
> which preferrably live in the kernel, too. I hope you're not moving so much
> functionality into userland, that those become a pain to write. Not having
> sockets sounds a bit like that would be the case.

Correct, I just wasn't making myself clear: I did not propose to move the
socket support out of the kernel, all I was saying is that I would prefer it if
all the sockets of the default haiku networking setup (i.e. interfaces all set
up but no networking filesystems started yet) would be created from userspace.
Just a matter of taste...

But what you said points towards another important topic: how would kernel
networking applications talk to our stack?
They can't just link to libnetwork.so, can they? So do we have to provide
libkernelnetwork.so as a shadow of libnetwork.so?

cheers,
        Oliver