[openbeosnetteam] Re: r18408 moved to network

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornew@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Aug 2006 20:06:14 +0200

On 8/6/06, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But IIRC someone wrote a DHCP client for us, and we might want to have
a look at it before porting something. I just have no idea where it is
in the repository, though.
Does anybody know this?

David Enderson started one, but he didn't finished it and he was not very proud of his source code. I've attached what he sent to me a long time ago. This is what he had to say:

I know it is rough and only a start.  I am very fastidious about my
code and don't like sharing this because it is not check-in quality.  :-)

I know that whether it is coded Object-Oriented or not depends on its
final location also.  Since I didn't know its final location, I just
write it OO, and figured I could refactor it.

My DHCP client currently gets the IP from the DHCP server
successfully...I think.  Here's the catch.  When I run the client again,
my server gives me the exact same IP, yet according to my understanding
of the spec, I have done everything I need to do.

(To test it, run it on BeOS R5.0.3, Netserver.  Set all your IP info to
static 0.0.0.0 for everything.  Then run my executable DHCP client and
it will print out the IP it gets.  You can sniff the net traffic if you
want to watch the packet conversation.  I've been using Linux to sniff
the conversation to make sure I had my packets formed to spec.)

I've learned the DHCP spec quite well, and the way a DHCP server
allocates and keeps track of assignments is left up to the server.
Different servers can keep track of things different ways.  I suspect
that my DHCP server (Cisco WRT54G) may only solidify the lease when the
first traffic packets using the new IP are sent through its router.  I
have no way know that without actually changing the IP for the OS.

Bye, Waldemar Kornewald