[openbeosnetteam] Re: porting FreeBSD's new netstack

  • From: Lars Hansson <lars-openbeos-net@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Sep 2004 22:28:30 +0800

Waldemar Kornewald wrote:

Right. I see the problem, but I also want to buy the best WiFi card without looking at whether Haiku supports it or not.

Brand spanking new 801.11g cards are probably not the nest ones, from a quality standpoint but I guess that's what you're getting with a new machine wether you like it or not. Just as you get gigabit NIC's on your desktop that you cant make effective use of....

There is no really good answer to this question. If your networking card works you can say "we don't want NDIS!", but if you card did/does not work many people will say "give me at least NDIS, if not a native driver".

Or you can buy cards that works with your OS of choice.

NDIS is not bad, it just is not Perfect(tm). Even the BSD and Linux guys have one and they probably had more problems with that.

Only FreebSD has one, dunno about NetBSD but OpenBSD will most likely never implement it. Of couse, they dont aim to be an everyman's desktop OS either.

If you know that there is no native driver for some card, will you buy it?

No.

I would not because I do not NDIS will run as fast and as stable as a native driver. But if I already have the card, I will be happy with a temporary solution.

I can certainly see that there's a need for the NDIS wrapper but I dont think it should be part of the core Haiku source. It is something that the Haiku-based distros can add at their leasure.

---
Lars Hansson