[openbeosnetteam] Re: porting FreeBSD's new netstack

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:26:42 +0200 CEST

Waldemar Kornewald <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx> wrote:
> the netstack of FreeBSD 5.3 will have some nice features and speed
> improvements. Additionally, their netstack is finally thread-safe
> (and
> multi-threaded). Our netstack is a port of an older version and thus
> not
> thread-safe.
> I did not port that beast, so I do not know what is harder to do:
> - port the new netstack
> - make our netstack thread-safe and extend with functionality
> (non-blocking support, etc.)
>
> IMHO, it would be very useful if we had a nice port including
> documentation about changes made to the port. If we can create a
> layer
> around the stack's core and module layers around the protocols it
> might
> become rather easy to port new releases and always have an up-to-date
> and stable netstack. While we maintain the port we can also slowly
> write
> our own stack, compare speeds, and improve it until it is better and
> at
> the same time smaller and cleaner.

Why writing our own then? Why not just moving the ported stack over to
exactly match our needs? And I don't mean a nice C++ API here, because
that thing just sits in the kernel anyway :)

> What do you think? How much work would a new port (we can reuse
> existing
> code and experience) and fixing/extending the current port mean?

Dunno - that depends on how far you left David's work on making our
stack thread-safe behind. Because that was pretty unusable.

Bye,
   Axel.