[openbeosnetteam] porting FreeBSD's new netstack

  • From: Waldemar Kornewald <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: Haiku Networking <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:03:29 +0200

Hi,
the netstack of FreeBSD 5.3 will have some nice features and speed improvements. Additionally, their netstack is finally thread-safe (and multi-threaded). Our netstack is a port of an older version and thus not thread-safe.
I did not port that beast, so I do not know what is harder to do:
- port the new netstack
- make our netstack thread-safe and extend with functionality (non-blocking support, etc.)

IMHO, it would be very useful if we had a nice port including documentation about changes made to the port. If we can create a layer around the stack's core and module layers around the protocols it might become rather easy to port new releases and always have an up-to-date and stable netstack. While we maintain the port we can also slowly write our own stack, compare speeds, and improve it until it is better and at the same time smaller and cleaner.

What do you think? How much work would a new port (we can reuse existing code and experience) and fixing/extending the current port mean?

Bye,
Waldemar