[openbeosnetteam] Re: no such device

  • From: <info@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 13:06:36 -0500

> Sounds good enough, unless you expect to test the kernel version of our
> OBOS stack!
>
> The /dev/net/server is the driver gateway between apps linked against
> libnet.so (R5.0.x apps) or libsocket.so (BONE apps) and the userland
> version of the stack, hosted by net_stack_tester app.
>
> That means for the OBOS stack to works, you *need* to start this app:
>
> $ cd Desktop/OpenBeos/current/tests/add-ons/kernel/network
> $ net_stack_tester &

Are you saying that to do any testing with the stack, I need to run that
program?  Or just that I need to run it if I want to test the kernel
version?  Either way, I can't locate it:

$ pwd
/boot/home/Desktop/OpenBeos/current/tests
$ ls
kits

There is no add-ons directory.

I found a "net_stack_driver", but it doesn't seem to want to load:

$ net_stack_driver &
802
$ sh: ./net_stack_driver: Invalid argument

> Here lies the problems:
> - the libraries should be place under a "lib" sub-folder, not at same
> level than apps. Create a "lib" folder here and move the libnet.so &
> libnetapi.so into it.
> - we switch recently all our network tools to be BONE compatible, not
> R5 compatible. That means there are linked against *our* libsocket.so
> and libbind.so, not libnet.so anymore. So you should place x86.R1/beos/
> system/lib/libsoket.so to the previous "lib" subfolder.
> - As you are using the userland version of the stack, you have to tell
> our libsocket.so (that's true for libnet.so too) to use /dev/net/server
> driver (default is /dev/net/stack) to interface with the stack:
>
> $ export NET_STACK_DRIVER_PATH=/dev/net/server

I still get a General OS Error.  I am about ready to nuke my system and
start over from scratch (it is a test system, so it is no big deal).

> Last remarks :
> - give a look at current/docs/develop/net/index.html
> - we have a "ready to install and play with" networking kit package,
> it's maybe time we document how to use it.
>   However, to build and assemble it:
>   $ cd cd Desktop/OpenBeos/current/
>   $ jam openbeos-networkingkit-cvs
>
>   Then, you should find a package under packages/x86.R1/openbeos-
> networkingkit-cvs.
>   But, beware, installing it will also install our drivers, some of
> them may overwrite an already installed one.

I'll check that out.