[openbeosnetteam] Re: no such device

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 22:14:47 GMT

> Both of them are there.  Surely there is a way to troubleshoot this
> and
> figure out what is going on.  Again, both of the cards that I have
> work
> under BONE and NetServer, but neither one will take an IP under
> OpenBeOS.
>
> $ ls -lR /dev/net/
> /dev/net:
> total 0
> crw-r--r--   1 peder    users      0,   0 May  6 10:24 api
> drw-r--r--   1 peder    users           0 May  6 10:24 ec9xx
> drw-r--r--   1 peder    users           0 May  6 10:24 eepro100
> crw-r--r--   1 peder    users      0,   0 May  6 10:24 server

Sounds good enough, unless you expect to test the kernel version of our
OBOS stack!

The /dev/net/server is the driver gateway between apps linked against
libnet.so (R5.0.x apps) or libsocket.so (BONE apps) and the userland
version of the stack, hosted by net_stack_tester app.

That means for the OBOS stack to works, you *need* to start this app:

$ cd Desktop/OpenBeos/current/tests/add-ons/kernel/network
$ net_stack_tester &

> /dev/net/ec9xx:
> total 0
> crw-r--r--   1 peder    users      0,   0 May  6 10:24 0
>
> /dev/net/eepro100:
> total 0
> crw-r--r--   1 peder    users      0,   0 May  6 10:24 0

Looks goods too.

> $ cd Desktop/OpenBeos/current/distro/x86.R1/beos/bin/
>
> $ ls
> arp  ifconfig  libnet.so  libnetapi.so  ping  pppconfig  route
> traceroute

Here lies the problems:
- the libraries should be place under a "lib" sub-folder, not at same
level than apps. Create a "lib" folder here and move the libnet.so &
libnetapi.so into it.
- we switch recently all our network tools to be BONE compatible, not
R5 compatible. That means there are linked against *our* libsocket.so
and libbind.so, not libnet.so anymore. So you should place x86.R1/beos/
system/lib/libsoket.so to the previous "lib" subfolder.
- As you are using the userland version of the stack, you have to tell
our libsocket.so (that's true for libnet.so too) to use /dev/net/server
driver (default is /dev/net/stack) to interface with the stack:

$ export NET_STACK_DRIVER_PATH=/dev/net/server

Last remarks :
- give a look at current/docs/develop/net/index.html
- we have a "ready to install and play with" networking kit package,
it's maybe time we document how to use it.
  However, to build and assemble it:
  $ cd cd Desktop/OpenBeos/current/
  $ jam openbeos-networkingkit-cvs

  Then, you should find a package under packages/x86.R1/openbeos-
networkingkit-cvs.
  But, beware, installing it will also install our drivers, some of
them may overwrite an already installed one.

- Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

The [Ford Foundation] is a large body of money completely surrounded by
people who want some.
                -- Dwight MacDonald