[openbeosnetteam] Re: moving ppp to other location

  • From: "Philippe Houdoin" <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2003 17:23:18 GMT

> > Now, about this "whatever" leaf module name, I guess "ppp" sounds
> > good, even if, in my mind, a more upper module should wrap all dial
> > up networking interfaces, hence a top "dun" module name. But,
> > let's start with just PPP dial up networking interfaces...
>
> That would be nice to have, yes. Although we probably don't need to
> support any other DUNs for R1, do we?

No, we don't.
Beside, except SLIP, I don't even know other non-PPP DUNs...

But it'll have the benefit to:
- *resolve* our current "ppp interface manager" module naming *issue*:
No more two "ppp" called subfolders under src/add-ons/kernel/network/*,
but network/ppp/* for all PPP related stuffs and
network/interfaces/dialup (or dun) for the Dial Up network interfaces
manager module.

- add a higher abstraction level between the stack interfaces manager
and
  our soon PPP interfaces manager and any future

- make Dial On Demand, Auto-Retry & Disconnect on Idle features
available for any kind of
  dial up protocols, starting with PPP obviously

But, maybe it's PPP that is more abstrack that "Dial Up Networking"
concept...
Waldemar?

- Philippe

--
Fortune Cookie Says:

Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's
supposed to do.
                -- R. A. Heinlein