[openbeosnetteam] Re: mbuf.h

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 14:49:57 +0200

> Solution to fix that issue need more consideration.

Why do we not fix it by finishing your new netstack together? ;)
I would stall PPP until the netstack is usable. The current netstack is not
usable, either, so I can only help finishing one of the two netstacks to be
able to finish and test PPP.

> I don't like the idea of a public variable exported by kernel module api.
> Beside that issue, that's global variables aiming to be used *per* module.
> max_xxxx variables won't have same value for each network modules using
> mbuffers...

Now I see the big problem with that. :(
As nobody really knows how our mbuf netstack works there is only one solution
(I already named it ;).

> Did I say I don't like *mbuf*, by the way!?
> BSD/Linux stack is monolithic, where public/non public symbols isn't an issue.
> With our modular design, we can't do that, we need a public way to set and
> get
> these maximum headers sizes. Per module using mbuf.o services, in bonus, as
> not
> every network module will share the same maximum headers sizes...
> :-(

We have an alternative in our repository. May I help? What needs to be done to
get ethernet support?
OTOH, I cannot test the ethernet interface because I do not have a network
(only PPPoE).
Would loopback be sufficient? :)

> > I think I do not understand. :)
> > I thought that mbinit() lives in the core. There is no copy of this
> > initialization living in _each_ network module like tcp, etc.
> > Could you please explain to me why this will work?
>
> You perfectly understood, I'am the one replying too fast on this topic with
> enough consideration. Sorry.

No problem.

> > Should not the declarations go into a private header in the core's
> > directory?
>
> These variables are, currently ( :-( ), required by mbuf.o and non-core
> network
> modules tcp and ipv4. I guess that why they ends there in the first place.
> But it's a bug, clearly:
> the core module

Remove the bug (= the core module ;).

> > No to the first question? :))
>
> Hum... I need to look at this issue better before being able to keep a
> position
> on this question ;-)
> But whatever it will, these maxumim values should be handled better than thru
> this mess.

IMHO, it will be unnecessary work to solve the bug. Let's get the new netstack
working.
What is the new netstack's status?

Waldemar