[openbeosnetteam] Re: kernel- or user-land [Was: Change of heart...]

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 16:44:50 CET (+0100)

> >No, you are wrong, a kernel stack properly done is easily ripped
> > out.
>       Easily ripped out by whom=3F  Kernel developers, perhaps :-)
> Personally,

Depends on how the stack is integrated in the kernel - you'll either
have to set a build option or just don't have to install the modules.
Hm, a build option should do it both...

> >And you don't have to use it for networking at all. You could still
> >(and indeed, can) run net=3D5Fserver on a BONE BeOS system.
>       I'll be the first to say that I'm no expert on either kernels or
> network stacks :) How does one bypass the built-in network stack in
> the
> kernel=3F

You just don't use it. Nobody forces you to use it.
If you are not firing up a interface in BONE, the network card is
unused and can be used by every other application.
To have a full server replacement, you'd also have to replace the
network libraries the applications link against.

Adios...
   Axel.