[openbeosnetteam] Re: if_re freebsd port

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 09:51:29 +0200 CEST

"Francesco Piccinno" <stack.box@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The ARP cache on the haiku box works perfectly. It shows me the table
> correctly after a while.

That doesn't really mean anything, if other machines are trying to
reach the Haiku box - then receiving would suffice to get a valid ARP
entry. You would need to ping from the Haiku box with a freshly cleared
ARP cache, and then, even if the ping does not work, if the ARP cache
is filled, it means it actually send a request out.

> Also packets are shown as sent (tcpdump
> runned under haiku) but if I run tcpdump on the other PC I cannot see
> any packet. BTW this "fakes" packets are marked as errors in ifconfig
> output.
>
> About debug output in lower layers how could I enable it?

It's always done in a similar way, ie. in src/add-ons/kernel/network/
datalink_protocols/arp/arp.cpp uncomment TRACE_ARP (line 38).
src/add-ons/kernel/network/devices/ethernet/ethernet.cpp doesn't seem
to have such a macro - there, it would probably make more sense to look
into src/libs/compat/freebsd/device.c, and add some debug output here.

Bye,
   Axel.