[openbeosnetteam] Re: if_re freebsd port

  • From: "Francesco Piccinno" <stack.box@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2008 19:10:30 +0200

The ARP cache on the haiku box works perfectly. It shows me the table
correctly after a while. Also packets are shown as sent (tcpdump
runned under haiku) but if I run tcpdump on the other PC I cannot see
any packet. BTW this "fakes" packets are marked as errors in ifconfig
output.

About debug output in lower layers how could I enable it?

2008/9/23 Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> "Francesco Piccinno" <stack.box@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I've a msi wind with a RTL8101E controller (10ec:8136), and I've
>> successfully ported the if_re network driver from freebsd source
>> tree,
>> but I've a little problem: I can receive packets (tcpdump shows me
>> packets in transit on haiku) but when I try to send packets with ping
>> I can see the packets on the source machine (tcpdump) but these ones
>> cannot reach their destination.
>
> AFAIK Dustin Howett has some pending changes to the rtl8169 driver that
> adds support for this chipset.
> In any case, if you have ruled out a problem on the Haiku side (best by
> enabling debug output in the lower layers, like ethernet or ARP), you
> could check if the driver believes to have send the packet, or if there
> was some kind of error that prevented it from doing so.
> Last but not least, it might also be helpful to see if your router
> shows any sign of activity when pinging from the Haiku machine. Oh, and
> looking at the ARP cache (using the "arp" command) might be helpful,
> too (but also only if you only try to reach the other machine from your
> Haiku machine, not vice versa).
> HTH.
>
> Bye,
>   Axel.