[openbeosnetteam] Re: hy, I want to write a DHCP client

  • From: Philippe Houdoin <philippe.houdoin@xxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 14:57:18 +0200 (CEST)

Quoting Valentin:
> Hy, I want to start writing a DHCP client for (Open)BeOs.
> Can someone give me some information about how to change the IP
> addres and things like that that I need for DHCP?

Well, for vanilla BeOS you can't, as the dhcp is builtin in net_server and
there no way to change programmaticly interface IP address.

For BONE and our OpenBeOS net stack, look at ifconfig app, and even
better look at our ifconfig code (in OBOS CVS under
current/src/apps/bin/ifconfig) to see how to set/change IP address of an
interface on OBOS net stack.

For DHCP protocol implementation, I guess the raw socket support should allow
you send and listen for DHCP UDP packet(s). Let's hope it won't need to
be integrate deeper in the stack, like ARP!...

I'm not a DHCP guru myself, where's my TCP/IP Bible!?

Oh, BTW, I'm glad to see someone to step in for this DHCP task!
Thanks.

-Philippe