[openbeosnetteam] general or PPP ideas

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <Waldemar.Kornewald@xxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenBeOS Network" <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2003 15:00:55 +0200

Hi,
AFAIK, each used protocol (IP, IPX, etc.) must be specified and configured
for each link (Ethernet, PPP). How is this done at the moment? So, there is
no possibility to add a protocol by just adding the driver. It must be
configured for each device. This means that we need a good configuration
scheme.
I think that it would be cool to use a structure to describe a connection
(at least for PPP).

The structure describes which modules should be loaded and it defines
substructures to configure each module. This is useful especially for our
modular design (like I want to implement it for PPP).
The syntax should be the same as for driver settings. The settings code
could be reused and with our new OBOS implementation we can even save them
to disk or modify them easily.

interface PPP { # we use a PPP connection
    #this is just to be sure that the user did not send us a wrong
configuration

mru 1492
magic-number enabled
protocol-field-compression disabled
address-and-control-field-compression disabled

load-module chap { # authenticate with chap
    # this is a client authenticator; there will be
    # server authenticators that know how to
    # handle incoming connections)
user "baron"
password "secret"
}

load-module pap { # use pap alternatively
user "baron"
password "secret"
}

load-module ipcp { # the IP control protocol
ip "auto" # the ip is retrieved automatically
nameserver "auto" # the nameserver, too
van-jacobson-compression enabled
}

}

The PPP module knows some of these settings and the other settings are
forwarded to the modules. PAP needs a user and a password, so it gets a
pointer to the configuration entry for the pap module.
The Dial-Up preflet will only support IPv4 and IPv6 (later). If the user
wants protocols like IPX or appletalk he/she must add these entries by hand.
The preflet will save every connection in this file format and send it to
the PPP module before connecting. Thus, the user can add other protocols or
settings that are not supported by the preflet by just editing the
connection file.

What do you think? At least, PPP should use this system. If this becomes the
default method for OBOS is another question.
But, refering to the idea of using attributes for protocols/interfaces this
is a possible implementation. IPCP would add the nameservers to the dynamic
settings structure of the IP module, for example. This is similar to what we
discussed.

If you do not want to use this scheme for the whole netstack may I use this,
please? :))

Waldemar