[openbeosnetteam] datastore issues

  • From: "Axel Dörfler" <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Haiku Net-Team" <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 20:21:45 +0200 CEST

Hi Andrew,

since you don't answered to my post on the commit list, maybe you
answer to this one.
Beyond what I said there, there are several other issues with your
datastore implementation:
1) you're exporting a C++ API from the kernel - we don't do that; we
don't force anyone to use C++ in the kernel (yet). C++ should always be
optional
2) why did you put it in the kernel anyway?
3) it uses a fixed buffer size and absolutely relies on that; after a
datastore is full there is no way out even if there is plenty of memory
left
4) furthermore, you waste 4 MB of unpageable kernel memory this way
(since this is performance critical memory one could live with that
alone, though)
5) and not that it goes down forgotten: you've removed any notion of
the physical memory location of a buffer

While I'm okay to live with these restrictions for now, I will revert
your changes once the networking stack becomes usable and we'll get the
slab allocator. For now, I will only move the datastore into the
networking stack and out of the kernel.

Bye,
   Axel.