[openbeosnetteam] Re: about net_server and food for thought

  • From: "Waldemar Kornewald" <wkornewald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2007 17:03:00 +0200

Hi,

On 4/3/07, Axel Dörfler <axeld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > For now, I would only add a notification mechanism that works
> > similar
> > to the FS notifications - as we wanted to make that a more generic
> > kernel service anyway, it could just make use of it. The API
> > doesn't
> > even have to be public for R1 IMO.
>   By similiar you mean a new interface or something that reuses
> watch_node()? I agree with the API visibility point, this is not
> really relevant for the API compliance R1 is after.

Not watch_node() in userland (as that would indeed need a file system),
but the backend in the kernel.

I agree. Extending the notification code into a monitoring API for
system-internal stuff is much better than exposing such internals to
the user. IMHO, the system should be easy to understand and abstract
the internal details, even below the GUI level.

Bye,
Waldemar Kornewald