[openbeosnetteam] Re: Tests plan?

  • From: Brennan Cleveland <warriorspot@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2004 00:10:50 -0600

I also think we should capture a core dump on Philippe's and Waldemar's brain. You and I are coming into this cold (which has its advantages), but a quick proverbial "state of the union address" definitely couldn't hurt.

I agree whole-heartedly. I am looking forward to their responses to this. That will probably give us a better idea where to start...

I personally am testing the stack initially by running through each
of our available network applications:

arp
ifconfig
ping
route
traceroute

How about more abusive things like nmap (or the Be equivalent), ping floods, and multicast?

Do we have a way to test things like IGMP or PIM? What about UDP?

In this age where "internet security" seems to be the buzzword du jour, Be lacks anything even remotely resembling stateful packet filtering. Sorry, that's the security freak in me rearing its ugly head. Is this applicable to R5, or GE stuff? Nathan, do you have anything to add here?

Again, I think that Waldemar and Phillipe can comment on whether my testing these is the best place to start. Im pretty sure route doesnt work, though. I am hoping to get some solid documentation out on the testing of these, so others who join the project later can look back and see what has been done. I agree that we should abuse the hell out of stack though... I copied ssh, telnet, and ftp over to the test directory and got some interesting results (which I will document and post).

I am not testing pppconfig, but I think Waldemar is.  I am writing up
informal test plans for each command, so I can keep track of what I
am doing.  As I stated in my email (subject: My Personal Project
page), I will be posting everything I do to http://www.new-wisdom.com
for everyone to view.

Once we get past this first stage, I am will to right up formal test
plans so we can dig further into the issues and start changing code...

Hmmmm... Seems to me that the "first stage" you propose is an artificial milestone. After all, the stack and its kith and kin, have been under development for some time now. I'd rather step back and take in the bigger picture, fix what's broken, and evolve the product (pardon the corporate-speak).

You might be right here. I think the "first stage" is really just MY first stage. Don't let me hold you back.

I have some other ideas as well,

Share! :-)

I can't remember them right now! :)

but what do you all think of this so far?

Grade A. The more eyes the better. Thank you for your efforts!

Brennan

Cheers, Scott "perhaps a little too pedantic" Mansfield

Later,

Brennan "Likes to start at the very beginning and document stuff alot" Cleveland