[openbeosnetteam] Syntax Highlighting in VIM on BeOS

  • From: "David Enderson" <DEnderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <openbeosnetteam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 2 Jun 2004 13:06:02 -0500

Hi Team,

Well, I didn't get any coding done on DHCP yet, but I did get enough
reading done in the spec I found so that I can start coding.  When I
went to start coding, I realized that it had been several years since I
had coded actively on BeOS.  In the meantime I've done lots of coding in
C++ and PHP, but it was all on linux servers via SSH.

I also realized that during the last few years I have become hooked on
the latest version of VIM and its color syntax highlighting.  So I set
out to get that working on Be and it has become an epic quest.  I
downloaded the latest source from vim.org and to my surprise I actually
got it to compile and run successfully.  The only problem is that I
can't get color syntax highlighting working.

Do any of you use VIM and have you gotten color syntax highlighting
working on Be?  If so, how?

There is this compiled version of VIM 6.2 on BeBits:
http://www.bebits.com/app/2693

It looks like they built the same code I used except built it for Zeta.
Has anyone used this?  Does color syntax highlighting work in it?

One thing I have figured out so far is that if I set my TERM like this:
TERM=ansi

VIM itself displays color error messages and such, so that way I know
the color codes are working correctly, but it gives an error when
parsing the syntax.vim file.  I tracked the problem back to a source
file in the vim source code that was beos specific, but I'm not sure if
it is actually an error or if I'm just building it wrong.

When I get this figured out I'll post a binary for people to download on
BeBits.  Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
David